Sunday, June 14, 2009

American Idol...no luck in Boston

Well gang. Thank you for hanging in there with me through this crazy weekend. I appreciate all the support, e-mail, texts, etc. from the bottom of my heart.

Here's how it went. I got up and made-up at 3:30am. Left from the hotel to the stadium at 4:30am. It sounds sketchy but I invited two others with American Idol wrist bands to join me in my car so they didn't have to buy a cab. It worked out great because they were two super great people from NYC, Adam and Lauren. After we arrived at the stadium they joined me in line the whole 4 hours we waited (again) in the rain outside Gillette. At one point I wasn't sure they were letting any more contestants in. At last, in yet another monsoon we walked through the gate.

I was lucky to have been in the second section called up to audition. My wait time after the initial promo shots and Ryan Seacrest's "This is American Idol" schpeel was about two hours. When it was my section's turn we were lined up four by four and stood in front of twelve different judges' tents. The judges/producers would call a group of four forward and each person would sing for about 25 seconds or until they got the hand in the air. When it was my turn I belted out 30 seconds of Martin McBride's Anyway and the producer had a big smile on her face. She said "wow...have you ever auditioned before?" I said no and that I was super happy to be there. When the other three finished their songs she told the others goodbye and asked me to step aside. She wanted me to audition for another producer. About five minutes later a rather miserable man came and barked at me to "go!" I thought be meant leave but he actually meant sing. So I sang for him. Same song. And nailed it. I thought for sure I was getting a golden ticket but no. He quickly said that I was not what they were looking for. I was disappointed because the first producer seemed very enthusiastic and I could tell she wanted to put me through. The other producer seemed rushed and unhappy. Anyway, I left the stadium. Maybe Idol is meant to be? Sure am glad I gave it a shot! Quick synopsis, I know, but I am exhausted!

Again, thank you all who have followed this journey. I have two weeks left in my reign of Miss Vermont 2008. I am looking forward to singing the Anthem at the Governor's Cup at Thunder Road in two weeks and all the festivities that accompany pageant week!

With Love & Gratitude,
Ashley

No comments: