Wednesday, July 9, 2008

RED (SOX) WHITE AND BLUE

Every year I put my Martina McBride CD in the player (if its not in already) to listen to "Independence Day" on the 4th of July. I just realized I did not do that this year. I am not sure why because I had plenty of time in the car on July 4th...and 3rd...and 5th...but oh well, next year I will pick up the tradition again.

This past weekend was fun fun! July 3rd I kicked off Independence weekend by registering voters and speaking on the importance of voting to a group of a few hundred young engineers at a youth engineering conference at UVM. Now, you might be asking yourself how and why I spoke to engineers about politics. The right and privledge to vote can be fused together with literally anything! Pick a hobby. Say for instance (in honor of my best friend who is currently out west working with grasshoppers) your hobby or life's work has to do with grasshoppers. Well, some of the money used to fund grasshopper research comes from the government. Case and point. Back to engineering...these young engineers will soon hold the key to our roads, power, and just about every other facet of public infastructure in the palm of their hands. So why not encourage them to go into public service? Why not encourage them to use their specialized knowledge to better the world for the rest of us?

Later on the 3rd I rode in the Independence Day Parade in downtown Montpelier with Miss Vermont's Outstanding Teen, Blaize Hall. The parade was good. I am just thankful that the man in the santa suit saw governor Douglas before he saw me. I am not sure I could have taken a pie to the face with so much composure.

The 4th of July brought me to Morristown. I rode with Mr. Manosh in the parade and then wandered the festival at People's Academy, singing the anthem at the Fiddle Contest and youth concert. Morristown was a wonderful Vermont town to spend Independence Day in. The people were very kind and enthusiastic to have me there.

July 5th was spent in Lyndonville with a stop at the Burklyn Arts Council craft fair where I performed God Bless America, Anyway, and The Prayer. And just when I thought I was free and clear for an evening of peace I was called to Burlington to sing the Anthem at the Lake Monsters baseball game. I am a lucky girl having my mother on my side pushing me to do everything and anything I can to be the best Miss Vermont I can be. She was willing and enthusistic to drive me to Burlington and back that night. I kept thinking, gosh, this is only one year. I only get one 4th of July to be Miss Vermont, so I want to do everything and be everywhere I can.

And now...2 pieces of exciting news!
1. Sunday I will be singing God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch at Fenway Park as the Red Sox host the Orioles. Sunday is Vermont Day at Fenway. I am beside myself with excitement about this event. There is a special feeling inside the historic Fenway Park. To be part of the day's festivities is an honor for me.
2. I learned this week that the TLC reality show "Miss America Reality Check: Becoming Miss America" will be 8 and possibly 9 episodes this year. I will be in LA for a whole month to shoot it! It will be quite an adventure!

I hope everyone had an enjoyable and safe holiday weekend. Tune into NESN and/or TBS at 1:05pm on Sunday as the Red Sox beat the Orioles and I sing to 36,000 fans and national television!


Love and Blessings,
A

3 comments:

Jean said...

Ashley,
You did a remarkable job at presenting yourself as a wonderful young lady who is true to herself and Vermont. Thanks for the good time and memory. Your lovely voice will be with Fenway forever!!!
Jean

Anonymous said...

Ash,

I watched you sing God Bless America on YouTube - it was, in a word, AMAZING! I wish I could have been there in person. You represent Vermont so beautifully - you really make us proud!

Much love,
Ang

Lindsey said...

Hey Ahsley! FIrst of all, congrats! I can't think of a better person to represent Vermont! My parents told me about your song at FEnway and I watched it on You Tube. Great job! Good luck with everything!!
-Lindsey (Lorinovich) Carlton